Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Another Trip to San Francisco

 
In early July, we went to visit my family for July 4th and my birthday all rolled into one amazing trip.  (Yes, I'm behind on the blog again.  No, I don't want to hear about how bad I am at keeping caught up.  Yes, the infamous Typhoid pill sickness was still leaving me dizzy and weak even into July.)
 
My folks live closer to the Wine Country than to San Francisco proper, but it's still a short enough drive to make for an easy trip across the bridge.  We loved what we saw of the Richmond District (Little Russia) when we visited at Easter, so we were looking forward to going back.

 
This time, we decided to try Cinderella Bakery.  They have amazing bread, pastries, etc, but they are also fantastic for lunch (borscht, sandwiches, pelmeni, etc). 

 
The beef and gorgonzola piroshky came heavily recommended by Yelp users, so we decided to give it a try.  It was even better than I expected it to be.  Even now, over a month later, (like I said, I'm behind on the blog) I can still taste the amazingness.

My husband and I also had the borscht and pelmeni, which were great as well. 

 
We wandered around a bit, seeing various shops.  One big highlight was the Russian bookshop -- we'd seen it before, when we went to Katia's at Easter, but it was closed for the evening last time.  This time, we were able to go in and shop for a bit.  We got a few alphabet books for our children to enjoy later on, as well as two copies of Hedgehog in the Fog (one in Russian, one in English).  It's  a great little place to stop by, and the ladies who run the shop are super helpful. (They explained the pros and cons of all the different alphabet books to me, and they never ran out of patience.)  The store also has the most fantastic Cyrillic typewriter in the window.  (Sorry for the glare from the glass.)
 
We really love exploring Russian language and culture -- it's something we can't wait to share with our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment