Monday, May 19, 2014

Welcome to the New Blog!

So, I've made the switch -- changing the blog name and URL really was the final step in the process of switching from Kazakhstan to Kyrgyzstan.  After all, I've spent two weeks posting about an adoption from Kyrgyzstan on a blog with Kazakhstan in the title.

I took my sweet time in doing it -- because I had so much else to do (hurray to only needing one more document for our dossier), because I didn't know how to switch it, because I didn't want to choose a name in haste, and also because I wanted to wait until the switch started to feel real, started to feel comfortable.

And, finally, it has.  I no longer start to say Kazakhstan and have to stop myself when discussing our adoption.  I've started to learn a bit about Bishkek.  I've started to use the blue and yellow (the colors of Kazakhstan's flag) scrapbooking paper I bought and stashed for other unrelated projects without feeling too sad about it -- although I do hope to use some to document our time in Almaty when we go for the embassy stuff.

It's been a long road to get here, especially considering that we started out intending to adopt from Russia before they closed their program.  Somehow, though, I'm pretty sure that the third country is the charm for us.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh-you know I know how you feel! It's so bittersweet, I still have stuff from Kaz around the house, I'm not sure what to do with it. I guess it's all part of the journey, I just think that will be easier for us to see when we're back home with our kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah -- I think I will definitely keep the books I have on Kazakhstan, especially since there is so little written about Kyrgyzstan. What sort of cultural items we purchase in the future will depend a bit on if our children are Kyrgyz or Russian, kwim?

      Delete