Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Five Favorites - Crafting Edition



This week, my Five Favorites post (which is a day late -- I was running around yesterday like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get our last dossier document -- which, it turns out, will have to wait until Thursday, when the correct doctor will be on hand to sign it) will be about my favorite scrapbooking/crafting products.

Yes, it is another quick and easy cop out like the make-up one was.  Forgive me -- we're in that part of the process that is running speed, not waiting speed.  Hopefully next week we will be back to waiting and I will have oodles of free time again, although I'm not sure that's entirely a good thing.  Ahh, the adoption process rollercoaster. 

Number One:
The Cricut Explore



I love this thing so much.  I've always loved Cricut machines -- I must confess that this is my third machine from them, and they have all been upgrades (my first Cricut still works and is my travel Cricut, and my second one still works but lives in my garage, completely replaced by the Explore).

The main difference between this and all the other Cricuts is that it cuts SVG files instead of only being able to cut the files on Cricut cartridges.  Of course, it still cuts the proprietary files, so I can still use all my cartridges -- but I can also buy (and sometimes download for free) cut files from places like Two Peas in a Bucket, Miss Kate's Cuttables, SVG Cuts, etc -- and even make cut files myself from just about any image.  It can also cut any of the fonts on my computer.  :)

The Cricut Explore also cuts cleaner than the older models and has a great pen holder so you can write using the Cricut as well.

Number Two:
Teresa Collins eBosser by Craftwell



I will warn that this item is discountiued -- it will be replaced by the Cut and Boss in June.  However, the concept is the same -- 8.5 x 12 inch embossing, all hands free.  Dies and folders will be interchangeable between the two, but the Cut and Boss will have an updated look.  Personally, though, I prefer the less boxy look of the eBosser, especially since it sits next to my antique typewriter.

While it can also be used to die cut things, I tend to prefer the Cricut for that, as it's more cost effective and digital die cut stuff can be resized whereas physical dies can't.  What I love the eBosser for is the very large opening and large embossing folders -- my old Cuttlebug could only emboss up to 5x7.  I've kept the old folders, though, and I can still use them with my eBosser.  I also love the Teresa Collins designs on the folders, since she is my favorite scrapbooking designer.

The electronic element is great for crafters with arthritis or other physical issues (no more hand crank!) and it's also great for anyone who has a lot of embossing to do (such as making a large amount of invites or party favors).  For me, it wasn't a factor in the purchase, because the hand crank was never an issue -- but it is something to consider.  The plus is that you don't need to use a crank, but the minus is that you need to plug it in.  For me, the large format was the main selling point, and electronic vs. manual didn't matter at that point.

Number Three:
Glitter Girl Videos and Shimelle's Classes



I know it's not really a product, but the Glitter Girl series from Two Peas in a Bucket has been super helpful to me -- teaching everything from how to apply basic design principles in scrapbooking to the differences between the most popular brands/types of mist. 

Shimelle, the fantastic teacher behind the Glitter Girl videos, also does paid workshops, both at www.twopeasinabucket.com and at her own site, www.shimelle.com.  I've taken her Learn Something New Everyday class for the past two Septembers, and I have also taken two years of her Journal Your Christmas class.  If you pay for one year, you get to stay in the class for free at no addition cost, which is really cool.  Also, both of these classes can be adapted for non-scrapbookers, since they are heavily journaling based.  She also teaches more craft based classes, and those are great as well.  :)

Number Four:
Making Memories Trimmer

This trimmer isn't being made anymore, because Making Memories went out of business. I dread thinking of what I'll do when this trimmer finally bites the dust.  It cuts straight, doesn't weigh a ton, measures accurately, and I've only replaced the blade once, despite having bought it back in 2009 to do our Save the Date cards.

Number Five:
Persnickety Prints

I've tried Shutterfly and Snapfish, but the print quality is nothing like Persnickety Prints -- Persnickety even does super thick Instagram prints, which I love to death.  Which reminds me -- I need to order some of those for my Journal Your Christmas book, which is still sitting photoless.

Visit http://moxiewife.com/2014/05/five-favorites-vol-58/.html for more Five Favorites links.

No comments:

Post a Comment