Monday, September 1, 2014

We met them!

And they're wonderful kids!

We got to the orphanage and brought gifts for the director, clothing donations, etc.  Then we went outside in the play yard to meet our kids.  They have a really nice play yard, with little patios with play pens for summer-time.

We went outside of the office and three kids walked up with a caregiver, coming back from a walk, I think.  One was our son, and the director called him over.  I got on my hands and knees and called at the same time, and he ran to me, and never let go.  He loves his new teddy bear, with his (birth) named embroidered on it.  He kissed the teddy bear when I asked him to and then kissed me when I asked.  :)  So, so, stinking cute -- I wish I could share the pictures.

We went into one of the play patios and waited for Marie.  She was brought over and seemed very shy but did take her new doll from me and a cookie from Papa.  She would interact a little, but the start to pull back because she is nervous. She seems normal and happy with her caregivers and friends, though, so I think this is just her age and being shy (and being smart -- because she knows something is up).  She did warm up to us a tiny bit as they visit went on, and even offered me some of her candy.  She would also look at her new Papa from the next room while she was eating lunch.  She is definitely curious, but she is also afraid to branch out from where she feels safe. 

Our little ones are both very smart, very quick witted, and obedient.  I hope and pray that our daughter's fears will settle down as she comes to trust us -- but I also know that it is normal for her age to be fearful of strangers.  The fact that she is happy and warm with her caregivers and friends means that she can and does form good relationships -- but it might also mean that she is scared to lose the people, places, and things that are dear to her.

2 comments:

  1. It took us several days on Trip 1 before Kristina cracked a smile with us. She would engage with us but we could tell she was also being cautious. (Kristina was 20 months old...I don't recall if you told us how old Marie is.) Enjoy every second at the pace the children set....and thank you for letting us share on this journey. It truly is life-changing for all involved! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much -- that's so reassuring because I always think of your bond with Kristina as the model bond for an adoptive family -- you've always had what I've wanted to have. :)

      My husband and I have both gotten Marie (age 4) to smile, so maybe things aren't as bad as we thought at first. Even watching the videos and seeing the pictures from today, I realize that it's better than we thought in the moment, when it hurt so badly to have her reject us after Frankie's warm welcome.

      Delete